Have you ever wondered what it would be like being the Technology Director of Europe’s Best Small PPC Agency? We had a catch up with Dean Yates to find out what a typical day at Mabo involves and what he gets up to in his free time…
1. Describe your role as Technology Director.
My role as Technology Director at Mabo involves the development of new technology, our tech strategy and the propagation of an innovative company culture to keep us at the technological forefront of paid media.
2. Please talk us through a typical working day for you at Mabo.
0745 I typically start the day by fueling up on caffeine and having a cheeky rally (Table Tennis).
0800 – 1200 Checking emails, dealing with any pressing company/departmental issues and working on my client’s accounts.
1300 – 1700 Research and work on new tech, maintaining our existing tech, development of top-secret R&D projects, currently working on the project ‘Obsidian Wizard’.
3. What is the best thing about working at Mabo?
The ‘family’ culture we have. There is a great culture at Mabo where people actively spend time with each other outside of working hours which is a testament to the friendships that have been formed from working together. We all work super hard towards the common goal of being the best and biggest in the UK but we certainly play harder.
4. What is the most challenging part of your role?
Because the digital tech industry moves so quickly sometimes situations arise that require a rapid solution, Google totally changing CSS partner goalposts last minute for example, this is the most challenging part of my role but also keeps it interesting.
5. If you could give one piece of advice for someone who is looking for a role in PPC what would it be?
Learn from everyone.
6. What was your first job?
7. What book are you reading at the minute?
Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
8. What is your favourite quote?
Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler. – maybe Albert Einstein
9. Name the top 3 things on your bucket list.
- Spend some time living in a different country
- Build a log cabin
- Live long enough to see true artificial general intelligence
10. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
It never rains in a pub.
11. Who are your favourite band?
Such a difficult question but I’ve got to keep it old school, Linkin Park.
12. Name your favourite movie.
Guest House Paradiso
13. What did you want to be when you were little?
14. What do you like to do for fun?
- Days out with the kids
- Going to gigs
- Walking doggos