Have you ever wondered what a Data Analyst gets up to on a day to day basis? What do they do? How do they do it? Well, wonder no more – we caught up with our very own Aya Hegab to get the latest on what it’s like being a Data Analyst here at Mabo.
1. Describe your role as Data Analyst.
My role involves analysing fundamental data for clients in order to report, justify and recommend changes, lead the optimisation of product data, increasing conversions & helping retailers succeed in the long run through paid search.
2. Please talk us through a typical working day for you at Mabo.
Get in before 8:30, have a nice caramel latte to start my day.
8:30 – check my tasks & email for the day.
List of tasks could be anything from creating client reports, to analysing data.
Around 10:30 – Fika time!
(15 min refresher break in between to make more brews & have a bagel or a pancake/play a game of ping pong)
10:45 – get back to work.
12 – Go out for lunch.
1pm – Back to desk, jump on some PPC work (helps me get an insight into the work Account managers do, which in result helps me understand more the work I do). This could involve working on client campaigns, working on ads, AB testing etc.
2pm – Feed optimisation – continue with work on that or monthly feed maintenance, tick tasks off.
3 – 5pm – Exams if any, ensure I’m on top of tasks & emails are answered.
3. What is the best thing about working at Mabo?
Definitely the friendly, Family like atmosphere! I love that it’s such a relaxed environment, but that doesn’t stop everyone from being hard working at the same time, (we all have the same goal in mind and that is to achieve the best possible results), which makes the workplace such a better place to work in! Everyone’s so approachable in the company, so there’s also always that support/help if you need it.
4. What is the most challenging part of your role?
With the many elements of work involved in my role, it can sometimes be challenging to keep up with so many different updates & methods constantly being introduced. However, these updates ensure our work is always at the optimum possible standard, therefore it’s vital to stay flexible.
5. If you could give one piece of advice for someone who is looking for a role as a Data Analyist what would it be?
Stay ahead of the game – read a lot, do lots of research and most importantly, never be afraid to ask!
6. What was your first job?
Tutoring Arabic to young children
7. What book are you reading at the minute?
Reclaim your heart
8. What is your favourite quote?
God does not burden a soul more than it can bear.
9. Name the top 3 things on your bucket list.
* Learn to ride a horse & own one!
* Swimming with dolphins
* Visit Hawaii
10. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
‘You’ve got to train your mind to be stronger than your emotions, or you’ll lose every single time.’
11. Who are your favourite band?
I don’t currently have one, but I used to love Fifth harmony.
12. Name your favourite movie.
13. What did you want to be when you were little?
A hair dresser
14. What do you like to do for fun?
* I love travelling to different cities & places around the world.
* Trying out fancy/ instagrammable restaurants/cafes/cocktail bars with lots of mocktails!
* Spending quality time with family & friends
* Going to the Cinema or have a lazy Netflix night in!