Hello Daisy & thank you for taking the time to talk to us about your role as Mabo’s graphic designer!!
1. Describe your role as Graphic Designer.
My role as a graphic designer is to work closely with the social media team in order to improve our client’s success. I am responsible for creating illustrations and graphic design work.
2. Please talk to us through a typical working day for you at Mabo.
I start work at 8:30am and check my emails/tasks for the day ahead, and talk to social media account managers to plan the design work for our clients. This communication includes our design concept, clients’ request, design style, size/scales, graphics, text contents and deadlines etc.
I always make some quick sketches as we are planning, and then get digital design ideas ready for secondary assessment. After the lunch break, I will show the design ideas to our social media team to discuss the design problems and choose the better ideas to develop further. Before the final work is confirmed, we take the clients’ suggestions.
3. What is the best thing about working at Mabo?
I am really happy to have joined Mabo. It’s great to be able to put what I have learnt into practice with friendly staff at this amazing and ambitious company.
4. What is the most challenging part of your role?
For design work, I face innovative challenges of different designs every day. Myself and our social media team enjoy the challenge of creative thinking in order to meet the requirements of clients and the needs of digital marketing. I create ideas and spend time on design development to make sure our clients’ design work is to the highest standard and will improve their business presence on social media.
5. If you could give one piece of advice for someone who is looking for a Graphic Designer what would it be?
Confidence, creativity and professional skills are very important for being a Graphic Designer. Self-confidence is an internal manifestation of comprehensive ability. Creativity is the only way to meet the fast-changing design industry. Professional skills are important to help us present our ideas. We should always keep curious, go discovering, exploring, and thinking are good ways to help improve creativity.
6. What was your first job?
I was a registered nurse working at the Neurosurgery Department in China.
7. What book are you reading at the minute?
- Ways of Seeing by John Berger
- Power vs Force by David R. Hawkins
8. What is your favourite quote?
- “You can either travel or read, but either your body or soul must be on the way.” —- Roman Holiday
- “The unexamined life is not worth living.” —- Socrates
9. Name the top 3 things on your bucket list.
- Travel Africa
- Become a professional car racer
- Hold a personal art exhibition
10. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
Don’t waste time and words, both things cannot be recovered.
11. Who is your favourite band?
I haven’t got a favourite band. I like violin performances, such as Zigeunerweisen violin and relaxing piano music.
12. Name your favourite movies.
- Shawshank Redemption
- Big Fish and Begonia
13. What did you want to be when you were little?
I wanted to be a writer or artist.
14. What do you like to do for fun?
Calligraphy, Painting, Book Club, Hiking, Skydiving etc. adventurous activities. Training myself to be a gardener and discover more mysteries in nature.
Thank you Daisy for catching up with us today!! Have you ever thought about a career within Mabo? Well, you are in luck, we are hiring!! Check out our latest vacancies HERE.