Hey Michael, thank you for catching up with us today to talk about your role as one of Mabo’s R&D Developers.
1. Describe your role as an R&D Developer.
My role involves writing software that will improve the company from within. This consists of: coming up with innovative new ideas in order to optimise our existing technology; integrating external technologies and thinking ahead about what will be the next big thing.
2. How was your Christmas? Are you festive?
Christmas is the best! It was very different this year with not being able to visit all of my family but the day was still really nice.
3. What do you think the best thing about working at Mabo is?
I love how passionate everyone is about helping our clients. They really do go above and beyond to provide the best service.
4. What would you say is the most challenging element for you about your role?
Keeping up to date with technology! It changes very quickly and this sometimes requires me to do courses on new programming languages.
5. If you could give one piece of advice for someone who is looking for a role in R&D what would it be?
Always be willing to learn and adapt to change. No two days are ever the same.
6. What was your first job?
I worked as a dog groomer.
7. What is your favourite quote?
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken” – Oscar Wilde
8. Name the top 3 things on your bucket list.
- Dive the great barrier reef
- Swim with dolphins
- See the olympics in person
9. What is the best piece of advice you have ever been given?
“Learning programming languages is not learning how to program. Focus on programming techniques, problem-solving, and analytical skills, not on learning as many languages as you can.”
10. If you could see one band in person, who would they be?
Oasis would be the dream if they ever reformed.
11. Name your favourite movie.
Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, impossible to choose between them!
12. What did you want to be when you were little?
13. What do you like to do for fun?
I love helping out on my family farm, looking after the animals and driving the tractors. I also really enjoy going to the cinema and going out for food and drinks.
Thank you, Michael, for catching up with us today!! Have you ever thought about a career within Mabo? Well, you are in luck, we are hiring!! Check out our latest vacancies HERE.